Sunday, April 19, 2009

Patience...

The journey of a thousand miles begins with....blah, blah, blah! I am lacking in one MAJOR area of my life...and this is PATIENCE. I have none. Zippo. Nada. It is horrible. I have come a long way in the last few years....but I still have unrealistic standards not only for myself, but for those around me as well. This causes me TONS of problems. I wish there was a class I could go to...or a store I could visit where it is being sold. My husband would likely be glad to "charge it" if need be. :-)

The subject of patience came up today on our outing to the park. It was myself, Troy Boy, my mama, my sister, and the baby. We were trying out a new trail and no one knew exactly where we were going or what we were doing. This led to a lot of stops and starts...obviously, for someone with NO patience, this would be a little frustrating. So, I started plowing, full steam ahead. I would jog back to where they were and then follow as they again tried to figure out where they wanted to go.

My mom (bless her heart, she is disabled and her activity and exercise is severely limited- I was SUPER DUPER QUADRUPLE proud of her for coming out with us today!!!!) had to call it quits after about 40 minutes. Troy went ahead and followed her over to the parking lot so that he could make sure she got into her car safely (I LOVE that man!) and sis and I went ahead over to another part of the trails. At this point, the baby was getting tired, although his answer to that question is 100% of the time "NO, I am NOT tired" when asked. My patience again got the best of me....and off I go making loops around the trail and seeing how far I can push myself to run at a time.

Troy comes back and joins us. He reaches over for my arm and says, "Babe- patience is going to get the best of you...." and I reply, "What are you talking about?!" (although it went more like this at this point...."What....are....you.....huff huff puff....TALKING...about?!"). He stopped me from running off again and said...."Baby steps, baby steps. You are just starting out again!" I tried not to be offended by this statement and of course, jogged on up ahead and when they joined us announced that we would be walking my sister and nephew back to their car and then proceed to walk back to our own car in another parking lot. My sister and my husband just looked at each other, shaking their heads.

We said our goodbyes at the car...tried to kiss my nephew who adamantly announced (for the first time EVER)- "I do not WANT you to kiss me Becca!" before we shut the door. I wanted to cry. But I didn't. Shocker! I know!

Then the hubby and I started our way across the big field to get back to our car. I was still a little winded but took a few moments to catch my breath before saying, "You know. It is not just exercise that I am like this with." Troy started smiling and says, "I know. It's EVERYTHING!" I was laughing at this point too and said, "Well THEN?!" Goodness!

More on the reason for all of this physical activity and the full steam ahead walking excursions later....now, I am going to try and be patient while I wait to fall asleep for a lovely afternoon nap.

:-)
Becca

2 comments:

  1. I, too, have issues with patience but have learned much over the span of my life. Often times, other people say things in a much better way than I am able; so here is what I've learned:

    "Our patience will achieve more than our force."
    ~Edmund Burke (1790)

    -AMR

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you are aware of what you need to work on. That's the first step! :)

    ReplyDelete