Tuesday, May 19, 2009

For Tina

I am broken hearted tonight for my husband's aunt and her family. Not only is her father-in-law in the end stages of terminal cancer, they had to make a final decision today for their Schnauzer, who they have had for many, many years.

So instead of blogging...I will post what is said better than I ever could and hope that I can find the strength to do what she is doing for her beloved Roscoe when I can no longer bear the pain of our own loyal and faithful companion, Buster's, suffering. I am praying tonight for Roscoe to finally be at peace and restored to full health when he is in the kingdom of heaven in the face of our Lord, for my aunt to find solace amidst her sorrow, and for God to give them the strength to survive what this week has yet to come and they will feel His love as He works to heal their broken hearts.

Much love,
Becca

Dear Abby,

Will you please reprint a request from a dog to its' owner, beseeching the owner to put him to sleep when life ceases to be a happy experience?It has been several years since I read it in your column, but I hope you will print it again, as it will be a great help to a member of my family who is having a hard time accepting the inevitable end to a 15 year relationship between himself and his best friend.

Eva A. Michaud
Bangor, Maine

Dear Eva: With pleasure, here it is.


A Dog's Prayer
by Beth Norman Harris
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me. Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear. When it is cold and wet, please take e inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to the bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would father follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life. should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest.....and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure that Tina has a new love & respect for you and for all your loving thoughts & prayers you have for them & their family tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina has always been so kind to me and this is a heartbreaking time for her. I only hope I am repaying a fraction of what she has done for me. There has surely been enough tears tonight to last us all a long while. :-(

    ReplyDelete