Monday, May 18, 2009

Really?

We all knew there would be tests. Trials. Tribulations. Difficult days where I would be forced to push through and remember my new found dedication to me. To my sanity, my faith, my mental health and my overall well-being. To my peaceful outlook on life, my refreshed and relaxed state of mind. We all knew that day was eventually going to come.

I don't think that I was anticipating that the test would involve quite so MANY things going wrong in one day. But really....isn't that how it usually goes? Feast or famine. When it rains it pours. You catch my drift.

Today, the madness started early. About 8:37 to be exact (and yes, that is early to me). There were crazy emails. Then there were crazier emails. A lack of professionalism by people who I am going to choose to believe were just having a bad day....for lack of a better operational theory. Maybe they are even having a bad life. Not sure...but I am thinking it must be one or the other. I hope so anyway...otherwise....it is just sad to be that mean. It kind of is anyway but I digress.

Shortly thereafter, there was the hysterical call from my employee that I couldn't even understand.....two minutes before my unit got assigned a case that she had just closed and about 8 minutes after telling my only other worker she wasn't getting any cases today...I did understand enough from the first worker's frantic call to catch the bottom line....she ain't coming in today or anytime soon. Really? I suppose I shouldn't really be surprised at all.

Move on to realizing I had missed a deadline and my new laissez faire attitude was catching up with me in that department. Whoops! It's about balance folks...this is all new, still gotta work on that part. Then....I forgot to eat lunch! Really? (You might ask yourselves.) Yes. Really. There went my perfect streak. Troy has never understood that one...how do people forget to eat lunch...I tell him to just hang out with me for one solid work day and he will understand. He has yet to take me up on it...but he still isn't buying it and has no sympathy when it occurs...he describes it as "ridiculous". Umph. Really.

Continue on to realize I was a tad close to missing another deadline (the OLD Rebecca would never have stood for this nonsense!)... but it was just CLOSE and not quite missed. This is a good thing! Hooray for me! My day is turning around. Really? That would be the logical assumption. I tried to hurry up and whiz through that task only to realize the provided instructions were not working. Ugh. So I had to go ahead and confess I hadn't even started yet (noting on the instruction email dated 5/1 where it said "this will only take you 1o minutes and it is IMPERATIVE you start now"....UGH). I sent my confession only to realize three minutes later that the instructions WERE working. And of course I figured it out before I even got a response back from my confession (but not before getting a read receipt for my email)...I just wasn't using the correct login ID. I told on myself for nothing! REALLY?! Oh well, my new found outlook on life kept me smiling and trucking along. So what if I told on myself? I was taking care of it now and that's what was important. Really? Hmmmm.

I set up the email request for this task and put myself on the "To" line so that I could put the people I wanted to be the "non-disclosed recipients" on the BCC line. Or so I thought. Really? Nope. I send the email out and get about 11 read receipts right off the bat. This is great! People will finish in no time. Imperative, schmerative! Piece of cake getting this done, no need to start on the 1st when you can wait till the 18th and get this type of response time! Really? Not so much. For some reason, I went back to check the email I had just sent and that BCC line was missing one big letter. And it was the B (as in BLIND). UGH. Really? Yep. Really. Now my supposedly anonymous survey had just gone out where everyone could see exactly who was invited to take it and who wasn't. Guessing that message recall option was out too...remember, 11 read receipts from my super speedy peeps? Yep. Really.

Oh well. Live and learn. It'll all come out in the wash as they say. Anyway, now the work day is over and we are free to enjoy our evening and put this horrific day behind me. Right? Or should I say....really?

I planned a DELISH dinner for our newly appointed "Grill Night" set to occur every Monday starting at 5 PM sharp. For those who might be curious (and just because it sounds so awesome, I want to write about it again here), we were having BBQ lime grilled chicken breast, Cajun grilled corn on the cob, garlic broccoli and watermelon. Sounds FAB doesn't it? Really! It really does! Everything was right on schedule and I was putting my BEAR of a day behind me. The smell wafting in from outside was UN-Be-LIEV-ABLE. Really. Uh-huh. Troy comes in from outside shaking his head. "I guess we know how long the propane will last," he is muttering. Yes, we had been wondering about that. What does that have to do with anything tonight? And, keep in mind- I didn't have lunch, remember?

"Did we just run out of propane?!"

"Yep."

"Really?!"

"Why would I make this up?"

"UGH."

REALLY. That's about how my day went. But really (is that getting old yet? Oh yeah? It is? Really?! Oh, okay, I'll stop now.)...all in all, it was a beautiful day. I went for a 2.6 mile walk in the sunshine and great weather and was blessed to do it with minimal pain and to have my mom for company. I got to gab with my best friend and crack jokes (when I should have been eating lunch but still) and we laughed so hard we nearly cried (that's the best kind). I had a wonderful dinner (eventually) with a wonderful guy. Today I got to talk to my mom, my sister, my mother-in-law, and my dear SR. I got to spend another day with my dog whose remaining days are few...but while he's here is happy to be and is as loyal and grateful as the day is long. My washing machine started working again (praise GOD for that- have you priced those things lately?!). Our check finally came in that we are using to pay off a major credit card.

So.....actually, it was a great day and all of those tests, trials and tribulations were just there to make me appreciate it all the more. I think I posted about this not too long ago....isn't it funny how the same set of circumstances are perceived so differently simply based on your own perspective and frame of mind? Two months ago, I would have considered this a yucky bad day and I would have let it consume my evening and my ME-time. But, it wasn't a bad day. Not really. ;-) Sorry, I couldn't resist...just one more time.

*****Dedicated to one of my favorite SNL segments....can you guess what it's called? REALLY. (No, really. That's what it's called!)*****

Live, laugh, love...
B

3 comments:

  1. sounds like you had a day! i sent you an email regarding these same lines. i got the article off my new favorite site...my health insurance's free diet/weight/lifestyle page that is going to be my new favorite friend!! i choose a lifestyle change from the areas i scored low in and i picked 'relaxation.' i'm a pretty relaxed person anyhow when i'm away from stressful people (lol!) but need to work on finding time to reflect..ya know...become COACH. Now that man knows how to relax. Anyhow...good for you! I'm proud of you. Now if this AIN'T a reply, i don't know what is!!! btw - lose the AIN'T!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right...it's all about balance! :) That dinner sounded delicious. :

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so impressed with your new outlook...isn't it so amazing to see life from this new lens? makes all the difference! love you!

    ReplyDelete